Home MyStudio Family MyStudio

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Yesterdays Bears

Oh I know... I've gotton off topic of Halloween haven't I? Ahhhrrr.. But I can't help it, as much as I love Halloween I love bears more! So I am still trying my best to post something every day for this month but maybe I'll just mix in some Halloween stuff every now and again.

Now yesterday I posted a list of bears that people like and I'd like to continue on with that a bit if I may. I found the research so interesting I wanted to continue on a bit...

So I hope you are enjoying the posts also!

Sooty for sale after returning home to the UK

The original Sooty glove puppet has sparked excitement among toy collectors after it was announced it is being put up for sale.


Sooty's creator, Harry Corbett, bought his original bear at the end of Blackpool Pier in 1948 Photo: PA


The yellow bear puppet has been in Spain for the last 20 years but will spark a bidding war among collectors and nostalgic television fans next month when it is sold in Derby.

Sooty's creator, Harry Corbett, bought his original bear at the end of Blackpool Pier for 7s 6d in 1948.

Intended as a present for his son Matthew, the toy went on to star in what became the longest-running children's show in British television history.

When he made his debut in 1952 Corbett decided to paint the bear's ears and nose black so he would be more visible to viewers, which also gave Sooty his name.

Hundreds of Sootys were used on the show through the decades, but the very earliest incarnations were fitted with much longer arm-pieces.

It is being sold by Sally Keane, the neice of a former BBC receptionist Violet Marley, who was given it as a present by Mr Corbett.

Mrs Keane, 50, who has kept the toy for 39 years, and who emigrated to Spain 20 years ago, said: "I thought it was time he went home. He's a little piece of British TV history and really ought to be back where he belongs.

"I've been extremely proud to look after him through the years, especially bearing in mind that he was given to us by Harry Corbett himself.

"But he probably ought to live somewhere with a climate that's better suited to fur. I won't miss his conversation, but I'll be sad to see him go."

Auctioneer Charles Hanson, of Derby-based Hanson's Auctioneers, added: "It's a real honour to be asked to sell such an iconic character.

"He hasn't faded in the sun and is generally in fairly good condition, although it's right to say he has a bit of minor wear to his paws and fur.

"Then again, that's probably collateral damage caused by all the attacks with bags of flour and water-hoses that he used to unleash on guests."

He added: "We anticipate international interest, not just from nostalgic collectors but from fans of the golden age of mid-20th-century slapstick and magic."

The puppet is expected to fetch around 300 pounds when he goes under the hammer in a sale at the Mackworth Hotel, Derby, on October 29.

Sooty declined to comment.

By Nick Britten
Published: 2:25PM BST 29 Sep 2008


No comments:

Post a Comment