Home MyStudio Family MyStudio

Friday, October 1, 2010

For The Love of Brooms


Hello Everyone:

First I must thank everyone who took the time to vote for my STEVIE bear in the URSA contest with Bears and Buds Magazine: WE WON THIRD PLACE!!!

It was a super exciting competition and I am so THRILLED with my win as this was my very first competion!!! AND we are already planning for next year!

THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR VOTES!
AND CONGRATULATIONS to all the other winners!!!

And now onto our month of OCTOBER...

I love October as Halloween happens to be one of my very favorite Holidays running as a tie with Christmas... but more the Nightmare Before Christmas in my house. You will understand why when you learn about my husbands collection in a post yet to come.

I thought I would start us off with a post about Brooms...

Brooms have very special places in our lives though we don't often think about them in a special way. For me the Broom holds very special meaning in my life.

To begin with everyone has one... at least one! They can be working brooms that help to make our lives cleaner and neater:


 The broom next door


The Broom in my Kitchen


The Broom in my Husbands shop


 The Broom for the steps


The Broom in our Family Business

Then there was our Wedding Broom that we made ourselves at Upper Canada Village on an old fashioned machine. It was so much fun making this broom! Then we gave it to my Mother In Law and she decorated it with wonderful things that hold special meaning to my husband and myself...



 
So we jumped the broom for our wedding,
and now it hangs over the door, the threshold to our home
It's considered good luck!


I also had mini brooms made to give to all our wedding guests ...
they were magnets for the fridge



And we cannot forget our magic brooms and ones we use for cooking


It's amazing how special brooms really are! Plus I find them really beautiful!

Although I wish I could fly around on one, I cannot!

Here are some fun things about brooms:

Also known as a Besom

A great deal of negative superstition surrounds brooms and brushes. They were associated with witchcraft and thought to sweep away good luck.

 It was considered unlucky to step over them.

 There is also a great deal of positive association with the broom. In some cultures, couples still "jump the broom" at their weddings to symbolize their new life together.

In feng shui and some European cultures, brooms are placed by doors for protection and to bring in business.

The direction in which the broom is placed makes a difference in its meaning.

The broom, or besom, in pagan and Wiccan tradition can sweep away negative energy and sweep in magical energy and is also used as a symbol of protection.

 In the movie Practical Magic, Aunt Jet says: "Broom fell, company's coming" in an ominous tone when a broom clatters to the floor.


In practical everyday life, brooms are used to sweep away dirt and cobwebs. 

 If you dream of sweeping up a pile of dirt or a mess, this may symbolize a need for self cleansing or more order in your life.

 Sweeping may symbolize the need to "clear a path" or a need to clear your mind. Sigmund Freud associated brooms and brushes with a fear of dirty thoughts.

Some Broom Quotes

A new broom sweeps clean, but an old broom knows the corners

The only man who makes money following the races is the man with the broom and shovel

Grab the broom of anger and drive off the beast of fear

There should be less talk; a preaching point is not a meeting point.What do you do then? Take a broom and clean someone's house. That says enough.

So till tomorrow my friends ...  may your ponder these words by Pablo Picasso about DUST

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post about brooms(Besoms)very much :) I did not know all of that, it is nice to learn new things.

    In PM, When the brooms falls, Aunt jet says "Broom fell, Something's coming" Perhaps in the book it says someone, but the movie it is definitely something.

    continuing to peruse your blog :)

    be well,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Susan she says "Broom Fell, COMPANIES coming" but pish posh close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your win! stevie was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you enjoy hearing that broom means Besen in German. :)

    -- Birgit

    ReplyDelete