Home MyStudio Family MyStudio

Friday, May 7, 2010

Mum's Day Treats

Well Hello and Happy Mum's day to all your Mothers out there!

It seems like FOREVER since I posted a recipe so seeing as how I love to bake and always try to make homemade for special occasions I thought I would share with you a couple of my favourite recipes.

My Mum is a big fruit fan and is having a get together at her place this weekend... so I am travelling to her to join in the fun! I decided to make one of our favourite recipes as it is not so much hard but it takes some time to do with layering. IT'S WORTH IT though ladies and gentlemen ... IT'S WORTH IT!!! It's extra special too as we don't make these squares often due to the time involved.

If you have a mixer like I do it makes things much faster but you do need to let the layers cool between each layer:

MUM'S PINEAPPLE SQUARES

For the base

1/2 Cup margarine or butter
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 Cup sifted all purpose flour

Blend ingredients together until creamy. Spread in greased 8 X 8" square pan. Bake in oven 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
Cool in pan on wire rack before adding the next layer of filling.



Begin to prepare filling now.

For First Layer of the Filling

1/3 cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar
1 egg well beaten

Cream butter and egg and add sugar. Combine well. Spread evenly over cooled base. Cool in refrigerator or freezer to set this layer.






Second Layer of Filling

One 15 - 20 oz tin of crushed pineapple 

(press down with spoon in sieve to get most of the moisture out ~ THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT or your last layer will be watery!)

1/2 pint 8oz of cool Whip or 1 Box of Dream Whip (I use cool whip ~ so does my Mum) 

Once most of the moisture has been removed from your crushed pineapple fold it into your cool whip. Spread over your first layer once it has cooled and set a bit. 




Cool over night in the pan. Can be made ahead of time and frozen! Thaw before serving!

ENJOY!! IT'S WORTH IT!!!!


Now, my husbands grandma likes nothing more than cookies and seeing as how she rarely needs anything I like to try to make her some cookies whenever those special days come along.

I found out today after years of not knowing that she doesn't really care for chocolate so I decided to make her a nice fruity oatmeal cookie.
Nice and simple and just perfectly sweet.

OATMEAL CURRANT, CRANBERRY, WALNUT COOKIES

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I use a silpat liner on my cookie sheets but you can use parchment or grease your pan.

Whisk together 

1/3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Beat in large bowl until blended:

1 Cup unsalted butter or baking margarine
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Stir in the flour mixture. Stir in:

1/2 cup currents
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts



Shape dough into generous 1 1/2 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake until cookies are lightly brown all over approximately 15 minutes per tray. Bake one tray at a time.


Have a WONDERFUL Mother's Day and please let me know if you try these... They are really yummy.

And Mum if you see this before I get there... That's okay... I bet you'll be up all night waiting for the Pineapple squares to arrive! Hahahahaa! Love You!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipes, they made my mouth water!
    Thanks also for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete