Home MyStudio Family MyStudio

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year 2010

Happy New Year Everyone! Can you believe it? 2010! Wow. The first thing I did this year was slept in a little. As I opened the curtains in my little kitchen window I saw a beautiful fluffy snowfall just beginning to blanket the icy mess created by last nights rain and warmer weather. Even the earth seems to be starting fresh today. I then put my little Italian greyhounds coat on and called my sweet pug to go outside for the first time this year! It is glorious outside, fresh and crisp with new hopes for a new year filling the air.

One of my goals this year is to try to become a better blogger. I am really new to this with only a few posts last year under my belt but after ending last year with the new release Julie and Julia that I received for Christmas from my husband I think I have a better idea of what to do. I just hope I can keep it up and keep you all entertained if there is anyone still reading that is.

Another goal concerns my bears and a whole new look. I had posted a picture but removed it this morning as I decided it is best to wait until I reach a final look. I am still working and struggling a bit to create what I envision in my head. I think I was getting off track which as an artist is sometimes really easy to do. I have many ideas and sometimes they all want to come out at once or sometimes I try to put myself in a box or category instead of just letting it all happen which as an artist is really really confining and cagey. This is where I run into trouble. So I tore things up, tore things out, and got back on track. There are things I really liked about where I was with the new design and things I did not.

For instance, I like vintage however I also like coloured eyes and eyelids and sometimes I like paw pads in felt whereas other times I like just a simple felt paw. I tend to lean away from clothing my bears as I spend a lot of time on my body structure. I feel the body posture is so important to the message the bear is giving and so clothes hide that. There may be exceptions however but I feel I will just try to go with the flow and see what happens. I also don't want to put myself under pressure with the rules of a certain style eg. vintage must be plucked and worn and contemporary must remain in tact... no rules! I just want to create bears that I LOVE and think are beautiful and hopefully you will also.

This is my second serious year that I will be creating so I am new to the bear world and that is fun and exciting as I think my horizons are all open with full view of any future I may choose. So I am settling in, moving more slowly and also more critically and making the moves more accurately. I may not release as many bears as I once thought I might for this year but I can say with confidence that when I do put a bear up for adoption it will be one that I LOVE.

Focus on my blog will just simply be my journey this year; Listing details of what I am doing and where I am at and hopefully throwing in a photo or two here and there. I will try to be more personal with my journey and less technical as I once thought I would be with this blog. I want to share with you the emotion of moving through this world as an artist so you can FEEL the development of my bears. Becoming Michele Seraphim the bear artist is one of the best things I have ever done. I love every minute of it even when things don't quite turn out as I had hoped and I want to spend a year developing in that direction. Maybe there will be some of you out there who will take that journey with me, who knows.

I work full time by day helping run a family business of a brew on premise where people can come and make their own wine and beer and in that I am very lucky as I sometimes have time to work on my bears there. I have two dogs and two Siamese cats and a wonderfully talented husband whom I love with all my heart. I live in a small town in Canada and we do not have nor will we have any children. My four legged children are what I was blessed with in this life and they are my blessings. I love to cook and read and I have two other creative loves, quilting and I have created a line of organic environmentally safe room sprays that I have been selling for over four years now with great success. It is in the evenings when magic is in the air that I really create and work on my bear development and on the weekends that I have off (this is my favourite time).

Now, it is time to start a new year with new eyes and new ideas so here I go.... down the rabbit hole to enter the fascinating world of Seraphim Bears............................................................but first I want to make a nice breakfast in bed for the man of my dreams! Yipppppeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment